Self learning was created to get Learners to be more independent, hard working and able to solve problems. The primary role for self learning can be summarized as “helping Learners manufacture their own body of knowledge by allowing them to experience learning through task based activities”.
In self learning Individuals:
- Take initiative and responsibility for learning.
- Select, manage, and assess their own learning activities.
- Motivation and volition are critical.
- Independence in setting goals and defining what is worthwhile to learn.
- Teachers provide scaffolding, mentoring, advising.
- Peers provide collaboration.